Monday 13 January 2014

Souper Monday!

Been busy cooking today and managed to make a big pot of Chicken Stock from the chicken carcass that was leftover from the Roast Chicken we had for dinner yesterday - Its so easy to make and I can't understand why more people don't make their own stock as it tastes far superior to any stock cube you can buy.
 
Anyway, I went on to make a large pot of Leek & Potato Soup which is one of my favourite soups ever,  (the soup isn't  really that colour that's just the light over the cooker top!!)

and I enjoyed it for my lunch with a slice of toasted cheese bread.
 

 It was just so scrummy.  I will freeze most of it in individual portions later today when it has gone cold and will be great for easy lunches in the next week or so.  I still have enough stock left to make an extremely tasty Chicken Risotto later in the week when Barry is at home for tea.  I have added the recipe for my version of the soup I hope you try it

Sue

Leek & Potato Soup

2pts good chicken stockI medium onion – diced2 medium leeks – sliced and washed1 stick celery- diced2 large potato – diced1oz butter2 bay leaves½pt milk¼pt double creamSalt & white pepper to taste
Good grating fresh nutmegTblsp fresh chopped parsleyMethod In a large saucepan melt the butter and add the onions – sweat gently without colouring for 5mins. Add the leeks, celery and potato and sweat for a further 5 to 10mins without colouring.
 
Add the stock, bay leaves and milk – bring to the boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 30mins or until all the vegetables are cooked.
Remove the bay leaves and liquidise the soup until smooth. Return to the saucepan reheating gently adding the double cream, chopped parsley and the grated nutmeg.
Adjust the seasoning if required and serve.
For a real touch of luxury add a little swirl of extra cream (you could also add a little grating of extra nutmeg but be cautious as it can overpower

No comments:

Post a Comment