Wednesday 8 January 2014

Banana & Carrot Cake

Happy New Year  - I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and a Great New Year. 
 
Life has been a bit frantic in the first few days of 2014 with various Government Departments and Doctors giving me the run-around but I have decided to rise above the petty-minded bureaucracy that appears to dominate all aspects of normal living and ignore them all and bake!!!!
 
I set of to make a Banana Bread but threw caution to the wind  and decided to add some additional ingredients.  The result was a really good bake - a cross between Banana Bread and Carrot Cake and was demolished in record time.  I managed to get this photo only after I chased the family off it for 5 minutes. I have posted the recipe below - I hope you'll try it out - any problems please let me know.
 
 
 
Carrot & Banana Cake
8oz SR Flour
4oz Butter
6oz Light Muscovado Sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas
2oz Chopped walnuts
2oz Sultanas
2 medium carrots – grated
½tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
½tsp cinnamon and ½tsp mixed spice
Pinch of salt
 
Method
 
Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 (if using a fan oven reduce temp to 160C).  Grease and line a 20cm x 12.5cm loaf tin (I used a square brownie tin and just lined the base with baking parchmentJ)
 
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
 
Mash bananas with vanilla, add to the eggs and when well combined add to the butter and sugar mixing well (it may look a bit curdled at this stage but don’t worry it all comes together).
 
Sift flour, salt, cinnamon & mixed spice together and fold into the butter and egg mixture. Finally add the chopped walnuts, sultanas and grated carrots and mix gently until well combined.  (My mixture was at a dropping consistency but if yours looks too dry just use a little milk).  Spoon into prepared baking tin,
 
Bake for approximately 45 minutes and the cake is well risen and golden brown (or a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean).
 
Cool in the tin for a few minutes, turn out on a wire rack and leave to cool.
 
I hope you enjoy I know we did.
 
Sue
X 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment